Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Keep on rolling on


Harry Pepper has seen a lot in his day. Born in 1910, Harry has seen two World Wars, the rise and fall of the Soviet Union, and now two economic depressions. When he was born, there was still an Ottoman Empire.

He has a grandson who is 50. He delivers meals on wheels to people 40 years younger than him; and this is his 62nd year bowling. Harry is one of the oldest athletes who will be competing in this year's Games.

Last year, the Houston Chronicle's Ken Hoffman interviewed the optimistic, energetic Pepper.

His advice to young people? "Read a lot. Education comes from reading. You need to know things. The world is changing. I'm 100 years old. I never thought I'd see a black man be our president. I never thought I'd see our country attacked like on 9/11. You need to know what's happening, not just here in America, but all over the world. Be a global person."

No comments:

Post a Comment