The Houston Local Organizing Committee (HLOC) recently received notification from the Texas Department of Transportation about unscheduled road modifications on the 5K and 10K Time Trial courses. After reviewing this issue with the state and local authorities, NSGA and HLOC have determined that it is in the best interest of the Games and the athletes to make some alterations to the course layout. The competition committee believes these changes do not significantly impact the quality of the venue for these races. Likewise, it will not have an impact on travel and accommodation arrangements. The new course starting point remains almost exactly the same. Following is a summary of the revised course and peripheral site requirements:
• The starting location has moved 300 meters south of the original location on FM 359 onto the adjacent FM 1093.
• There is now a more convenient and direct route from the primary parking/staging area to the starting location.
• The cyclists will now ride West on FM 1093.
• FM 1093 is in good condition for the Time Trial events, with a straight road and minimal elevation changes.
• We will continue to use the previously identified parking lots and adjacent facilities as the hub of our activities.
• We now have additional properties to host the Time Trial staging areas including larger Awards, Results and Merchandise areas.
Please visit the Cycling Time Trials web pages (http://www.nsga.com/2011-national-games/sport-specific-info/cycling-5k-10k-time-trials) and review all of the updated maps for details on the new start line location, appropriate driving route to enter the parking lots and more, in the Venue section of the web page. In addition, pick up a new set of updated maps at the Sports Information Desk to accompany your Cycling Handbook.
Direct link to New 5K Time Trials route:
Direct link to New 10K Time Trials route:
Event map: City of Fulshear – Time Trials Event Map (PDF file)
REMINDER: The Cycling technical meeting will be hosted on Friday, June 17th at 7PM at the Crowne Plaza Houston West (14703 Park Row, Houston, TX). It will be in the Berkshire Ballroom. The meeting is not mandatory, but will be highly informative. Please be sure to check the Cycling webpage for updated start times.